I own some beautiful, well-designed handbags and it’s important to me that they remain as beautiful as the day they were made. I’ve always taken care of my belongings and with leather that means giving them back the moisture and protection they need to remain in good condition. I thought I’d share a few tips on how I take care of mine.
I use Tangent Garment Care products because they’re good quality and use natural ingredients. Their Shoe Grease is made with beeswax, coconut fat, rapeseed oil, wool wax and rosemary. It gives the leather water protection whilst allowing it to breath. Their Shine Cloth is made in Italy from organic cotton flannel and is lovely and soft so it won’t damage the leather.
One of my favourite bags at the moment is this PB 0110 AB 52 shoulder bag. I’ve had it since Christmas and I love its lovely smooth patina. If left untouched it’s likely that it will lose this finish and eventually begin to crack. This is how I look after it and prevent this from happening.
Leather Care Tips
- Wash-off any stains with a damp sponge and allow to dry.
- Test the shoe grease on an inconspicuous area.
- Stuff the bag with tissue paper so the bag holds its shape.
- Apply the grease all over with a soft cotton cloth (don’t forget the base).
- Buff lightly with the cloth.
- Place in its dust bag. If it doesn’t have one you can use a pillowcase or (if small enough) one of the cotton bags from Aesop.
- Store somewhere cool and dry.